Monday, September 23, 2019

Brain Inflammation...A small snip-it into our lives


This morning was not a one-time only event. The severity and details vary but this is a taste of what we are dealing with and how unwell Luke is. We love Luke. This neuro-immune disorder is wrecking havoc on our son and on our family. Luke is a 9 year old boy who has taken naps 3 days in a row. His OCD is off the charts.

It took 45 minutes of concerted effort to get Luke out of his bed and downstairs this morning. Kicking, hitting, holding onto the mattress, and more. He then refused to go to the bathroom, but, after much coaxing, I managed to get clothes on him.  He refused to eat any breakfast, but with Scott’s help, Luke took his medicine/supplements and had a few sips of water.  Luke also emphatically refused to wear his cochlear implants -so I put them and his breakfast in his backpack. He scratched and hit and threw things this morning. 

Jansen took the bus to school so he didn’t have to deal with the drama or embarrassment. Scott and I got Luke into the van. He took off his shoes and threw them at me. He then covered his eyes during the ride to school and cried real tears. When we got close to the school he held my hand. As he got out of the van, he hit me. 30 seconds later as he was walking towards the school doors, he looked back and signed “I love you” to me. 

This. Is. Hard. 

We want our Luke back. 

Would you join us in prayer that the IV Infusion treatments will be successful?

-Jo Anna



No comments:

Post a Comment